Saturday, August 15, 2015

Extremely Quickies: Escaping From Under The Bell Curve

     Google’s job interviewers like to ask really off-axis questions, supposedly to plumb the candidate’s creativity, problem-solving methods, and so forth. Such questions are often posed drill-sergeant style: snapped out in the imperative mood with no warning or preliminary. Here’s the answer I like best – and I’ll bet you it’s one their interviewers seldom hear, if ever:

“No.”

     I find it rather widely applicable.

3 comments:

HoundOfDoom said...

Great answer. If the interviewer persisted, the next comeback might be "What does this have to do with my job?" If they were still not dissuaded, the next response wiuld be "Goodbye".

And yes, I've terminated interviews when it was clear that the position or culture was not a fit. Either respect me for my skills, or hire a clown to dance for you instead if that's what you want.

pdwalker said...

That's a big decision to make when you've been out of work for a while, with wife, kids and mortgage. Having principles doesn't always put food on the table

What then?

Unknownsailor said...

Principles that you are willing to compromise are not principles.
No is a powerfully liberating word. I use it often. Many are not used to hearing it.